July 13, 2012

City Of Dreams?



We have a million questions
All about our lives
And when I got to New York
Everything felt right
I wish you were here with me tonight
~FM Static (improv)

I always thought NYC would be special. I don't know why, but I knew. It's like looking at the new roommate and knowing you'd hit it off.
 
The first time I saw the skyline appear I was in a shuttle with 6 strangers. I drew in a sharp breath and thought “this is your moment, Mr Life List, this is it.” And I made sure I carefully registered their faces. Nothing about this moment should be lost on me. I was to be dropped off at Port Authority an avenue/block away from Time Square and take a cab from there. I had the details carefully written in a bright pink post-it. As I stepped out I felt the warm clammy air …and bright lights. It was 1:41 AM and the city was abuzz with people, cabs and noise. I looked around at the street names and on impulse I decided I’d be walking to my sister/friend… sister-friend’s (?) place. I remember her telling me that it wasn’t too far away. Later she told me almost everybody she’s known has been utterly confused whenever they’ve been here for the first time. I found their place nice and easy. I told you we were supposed to fit. We did.

And I took my time. I felt the place. I breathed that air. You know just before you are about to cry that burning  behind your eyes? That happened. I thought why am I crying? Turns out it was overwhelming emotion. Walking in the City Of Dreams. A HUGE check on my Life List. But that overwhelming emotion wasn’t for that…

…It was the realization that this would not have been possible had it not been for B in my life. At the end of the day that is who you really need. Someone who cares so much about your dreams that they make it happen for you. You’re very own dream-maker.

Maybe it’s called the City Of Dreams not because it makes your dreams come true. Maybe it’s called the City Of Dreams because it helps you realize that for someone your dreams are as big a deal as it is for you. That there’s someone who doesn’t read your life list and goes “Oh, cute!” but actually makes it happen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...